Friday 29 December 2017

Who am I and what is this blog all about?

Hello! I'm Sarah, a 29 year old from Dublin in Ireland.

On September 16th 2017, my life was very suddenly invaded by the colour pink, when I was diagnosed with Triple Negative Breast Cancer.

Although, pink is a colour that I have to say I don't particularly like very much, it has become a huge part of my life and therefore I said I would embrace all things pink as part of this blog in support of Breast Cancer Awareness.

My main reason for starting this blog is selfish in that I wanted a platform to express myself throughout this journey. I initially intended to start a hand written diary but very quickly found this too much work and didn't follow through with it. There is so much information flying around the place when you become an oncology patient that having somewhere to log this and express feelings towards it is so important for future reference and to keep you sane!

The second reason I decided that this blog may be a good idea,not just for myself but for other people going through this process is because my diagnosis process was very drawn out. I was basically fobbed off by a number of healthcare professionals up until the moment I was diagnosed. If it wasn't for the fact I very nearly finished a nursing degree and have worked in healthcare for the past 10 years, I may not have pushed so hard for answers.

My intention in this blog is to log my journey through a number of posts from diagnosis to the very end and thereafter also. One thing I have learned from the many people I have spoken to over the past 3 months is that once treatment is finished, people can begin to feel very isolated as they are discharged from medical facilities and suddenly they are on their own with the fear of recurrence and trying to rebuild their strength to what it was before this whole process began!






1 comment:

What Cancer Survivorship means to me

I haven't written a blog post in ages because I have been trying to get on with my life, move forward and get back to normal...whatever ...